What is it
Leverage your mailing lists to reach audiences on their devices at home with relevant messaging and offers. Provide us a list of physical addresses that you’ve obtained through your existing customer opt-in channels*. That list is then aggregated to create a custom Location Group, allowing you to uncover which devices are observed within those locations. With this visitation data, you now have a custom Audience Group of residents you can connect with directly on their mobile devices.
*Clarification on Individual Rights
For an advertiser to utilize residential targeting, it must demonstrate that it holds independent rights to send advertisements to the targeted list of addresses.
What does this mean?
In essence, it means that in one way or another, the households included have opted in to receive ads targeted directly to it and/or its occupants from the entity targeting it. Examples of this type of opt-in include:
- Mailing lists
- CRM data
- First-party data
For example, an advertiser may send brochures/fliers/magazines to a list of consumers who have signed up to receive marketing materials. This advertiser has obtained individual rights to target these residences with ads and has a valid case to use GroundTruth’s residential targeting product. However, if an advertiser has received a list of addresses in some other manner – for example, purchasing the addresses without the household owner’s knowledge – it has not obtained individual rights to target these residences and does not have a valid case to use Groundtruth's residential targeting product.
Benefits of Residential Targeting
- Reach customers directly on their mobile devices, ensuring a swift turnaround when sharing time-sensitive information with drastically shorter timelines than traditional marketing mediums.
- Connect with consumers in real-time, serving offers or information that impacts them most as time spent at home increases.
- Amplify and reinforce messaging from other marketing channels like emails, direct mail, or billboards by reaching audiences while at home.
How it works & guardrails
GroundTruth ingests your 1st party data and matches each address with parcel data to build a location group. Once the location group is selected in an audience ad group, the audience will start building.
For privacy purposes, visitation tracking to residential location groups is not available (Non-residential location groups and brands can be used to measure visits). Additionally, building retargeting audiences is not available when targeting residential location groups.
- The advertiser must hold individual rights to target the residences with advertisements (please see clarification on individual rights above)
- At least 100 addresses must match with our parcel data for the location group to be created (thus, we suggest sending at least 150-200 addresses)
- If the total number of locations drops below 100 during matching - due to duplicates, invalid addresses, or other matching issues - the location group will not be built, and you will need to provide more addresses.
- No personal or sensitive data should be sent to GroundTruth (only the address list in the format described below - no names, email addresses, phone numbers, etc. should reach GT systems.
Sharing your address file
Share postal addresses in a file (.txt file). The file should contain comma-separated single-line postal addresses per line. Example below:
189 N Bernardo Ave, Mountain View, CA, 94043
4624 Cheeney St, Santa Clara, CA, 95054
Note that there should be no headers in the file. It should just have the comma-separated address fields as shown above.
- While you can target the segment as in-store/on-premise, we recommend targeting the segment as an audience to have more scale.
- The budget should be in accordance with the scale of the audience (i.e., if you have a list of 100k addresses, then you should put at least $5k - $10k).
- Check on your campaign after a week to see if the list is performing well, and leverage budget accordingly (make sure that it is set up at the ad group budget level or have it as its own campaign).
- Video Only Best Practice: Use audience targeting for Mobile Video/OTT, and on-premise/in-store for CTV.